According to NAR statistics, 90 percent of home buyers search online for a house. Real estate-related searches have surged by 253 percent over the past 4 years, and that’s something that none of us can afford to ignore.
But what are the actual numbers? Is there anything you can do to make sure you’re in on this tidal wave of Internet traffic?
Search Engines and Real Estate Buyers
Most people who work with a Realtor® based on what they find online have searched with a local term, such as “Nashville real estate” or “Brentwood homes for sale.” Here’s the breakdown:
- 69 percent of home shoppers begin research with a local term (such as “Brentwood homes for sale”)
- 52 percent of home shoppers’ actions on a real estate site come directly from local searches
- 89 percent of home shoppers use a mobile search engine (such as from a tablet or a smartphone) to find a Realtor and a home
- 89 percent of home shoppers used the Internet to find a Realtor
Here’s how those home shoppers are using the Internet on their mobile devices:
- 51 percent are reading general home information
- 48 percent are getting directions to a listed home
- 44 percent are comparing prices between similar homes
- 35 percent are comparing features between similar homes
- 35 percent are searching a company’s inventory of listings
- 21 percent are reading online reviews about a Realtor or about a realty company
- 18 percent are contacting agents or real estate companies through online contact forms
- 16 percent are watching video tours of homes (mostly on YouTube)
Can You Keep Up?
With numbers like these, you almost need people to come to your website. You’ll be missing a goldmine if you don’t have that search traffic coming in.
In order to do that, you have to give buyers what they’re looking for… and that’s information.
Community information, tutorials and online guides are among the best ways to connect with Internet readers. So are video tours of properties, subdivisions and communities, which you can make on your own or outsource to a local pro.
Here’s what readers are looking for:
- In-depth guides to neighborhoods, communities and subdivisions (including video)
- Current community information, including demographics and school boundary locations
- Simple, easy-to-understand guides that explain the home-buying process
- Listings, listings, and more listings
Staying on Top of Real Estate Trends
At Benchmark Realty, we have monthly Mastermind Meetings (attendance is not required!) where we discuss topics like these and so much more.
If you’re not part of the Benchmark Realty team, call us at 615-371-1544 or fill out the form below. We’d love to talk about your options.
Latest posts by Phillip Cantrell (see all)
- The REALTOR’s Guide to Social Media - August 10, 2017
- The Power of Having Business Systems as a Real Estate Agent - July 28, 2017
- How to Nurture Your Real Estate Client Database for Future Profitability - July 18, 2017