If you’re getting ready to move, this guide runs you through all the most important tasks so you don’t miss a thing.
Tips to Make Your Move Easier
Check out the following sections to get a head start on your next move:
- Hiring movers
- Preparing your pets to move
- Changing your address
Here’s a closer look at each.
Here are a few tips to help you pack efficiently and effectively:
- Start packing items you won’t need in the next week. Be thoughtful in your selections!
- Pack heavier items on the bottom of boxes. This helps your boxes stay intact and keeps your belongings safe.
- Label boxes with what’s inside and which room they should go in. This saves you time dragging boxes from room to room later.
- Pack a survival kit of essential items for the first few days in your new home. You’ll need entertainment for kids, medications, contact lens solution, toiletries and paper plates – plus whatever else you need to survive.
Related: 15 home staging tricks that you can use to sell your home faster
If you’re hiring a moving company to help you on the big day, these tips will help:
- Get quotes from a few different moving companies. Different companies have vastly different pricing, which means you should get quotes from as many companies as possible. That way, you can evaluate your options and make the best choice for your budget.
- Check reviews and references for each company. Never hire a moving company without checking reviews and references. Sometimes, the best way to find a good moving company is to talk to friends and family to find out who they used. You can also ask your real estate agent if you’re not familiar with the area or don’t know others who have recently moved.
- Make sure the company is licensed and insured. You should never choose a company that’s not licensed or insured. If you do, you do so at your own risk; your belongings could be lost or damaged, and you may have no recourse.
- Choose a date for the move and book your movers. Generally, the earlier you book, the better period that’s because moving slots sometimes fill up quickly, and some companies charge more for short notice moves.
Related: 7 important tips for first-time buyers
Preparing Your Pets to Move
If you have pets, use these tips to make sure they’re ready for the big day and everything that comes after:
- Start slowly introducing your pets to their carrier a few weeks before the move. the safest way to protect your pets on moving day is to keep them in their carriers while movers or helpers are coming in and out of your home. Additionally, the best way to get your pets from Point A to Point B is safely secured in a carrier.
- Make sure they are up to date on all vaccinations. That way, you won’t have to rush to find a new vet in your new location.
- Pack a pet care kit with food, water, toys, and any other essentials. It’s best to bring all the things your pets need for the first few days in your new home. The last thing you want to do is tear open boxes, frantically looking for an item your pet needs.
Related: How to depersonalize your home to sell
Changing Your Address
When you move, you have to keep other people updated. Use these tips so you don’t leave anyone out:
- Notify your bank, credit card companies, insurance company, employer, and other important organizations of your change of address. Don’t forget to change your magazine subscriptions, too.
- Update your driver’s license and car registration. Though it’s a pain, it’s necessary. Many localities require you to change your address information within 30 days.
- Forward your mail to your new address. You can visit USPS online to do so – it’s fast and easy, though you do need to pay a nominal fee.
Instant Home Value
Are You Buying or Selling a Home in Middle Tennessee?
If you’re buying or selling a home in Middle Tennessee, Benchmark Realty has you covered.
Want instant notifications when a property you’ll love hits the market? Sign up for our hot property alerts for homes that meet your search criteria, explore featured Middle Tennessee homes for sale, or check out:
- Nashville homes for sale
- Condos for sale in Downtown Nashville
- Brentwood homes for sale
- Franklin homes for sale
- Homes for sale in SoBro
- Spring Hill homes for sale
- Gallatin homes for sale
- Murfreesboro homes for sale
When it’s time to sell your home, we’ll tell you exactly how much it’s worth – get your free home valuation here, and then learn how we can help you sell quickly (and for the best possible profit).
Got questions? That’s why we’re here. Fill out the form below and we’ll get back to you right away.
We would love to hear from you! Please fill out this form and we will get in touch with you shortly.