Home resales slipped last month; a slight setback for the nation’s housing market’s recovery.
According to the National Association of REALTORS®, Existing Home Sales fell to 4.55 million units in May 2012 on a seasonally-adjusted annualized basis, representing a 2 percent drop from April.
An “existing home” is a home that’s been previously owned or occupied, and cannot be categorized as new construction.
Despite May’s retreat, however, as compared to last year at this time, Existing Home Sales by units are higher by 10 percent. In other words, like everything else in housing, the long-term statistical trend has been a positive one.
The housing market has seen its bottom and is finding balance.
Other data from the Existing Home Sales report includes :
- First-time buyers accounted for 34% of all purchasers, down from 35% in April
- Real estate investors accounted for 17% of all purchasers, down from 20% in April
- Cash buyers accounted for 28% of all purchasers, down from 29% in April
In addition, distressed sales accounted for 25% of all sales in May, down from 28% in April.
“Distressed sales” include the sale of homes in various stages of foreclosure, and of short sales. This is the smallest percentage of homes sold in a “distressed” status since the real estate trade group began tracking the data in 2008.
And, lastly, home supplies rose by 0.1 months to 6.6 months nationwide in May. This means that, at the current pace of sales, the complete U.S. home resale inventory would be sold out before the end of 2012. A 6-month supply is widely believed to represent a market in balance between buyers and sellers.
There are now 2.49 million homes for sale — a 20% reduction from May 2011.
Home resales may have slipped last months but volume remains brisk nationwide. All-time low mortgage rates and high home affordability are keeping buyers in the market. Home prices are rising in many U.S. cities as the housing market continues its slow, steady recovery.
Latest posts by Phillip Cantrell (see all)
- The REALTOR’s Guide to Social Media - August 10, 2017
- The Power of Having Business Systems as a Real Estate Agent - July 28, 2017
- How to Nurture Your Real Estate Client Database for Future Profitability - July 18, 2017