Among Brentwood homeowners, granite countertops remain a popular kitchen and bathroom finishing choice. Granite boasts a combination of natural beauty and durability that’s unmatched among most commercial options.
But different from many other countertops choices, granite is a natural material; mined from the Earth. It is porous and highly absorbent.
To protect the granite in your home, therefore, and to ensure its quality over time, you’ll want to seal your countertops at least once annually. A proper granite sealing will prevent stains and damage that can ruin your countertops’ appearances.
Sealing your granite countertops is a simple job, but one that requires a little bit elbow grease.
First, you should make sure your granite is actually ready to be re-sealed. To do this, soak a white cotton cloth in water and leave it on the corner of your countertop for a 10 minutes. Lift the towel and check whether the area under the towel is discolored, or dark. This will indicate that your granite is absorbing liquid and needs sealing.
If the area is not disclored, your granite is already sufficiently sealed.
If your countertops do need to be sealed, here’s how to do it :
- With a spray cleaner, wipe down the entire surface and allow to dry
- Using a clean white rag, apply granite sealer to the surface uniformly
- Allow 30 minutes for the granite to absorb the sealer, or longer
- When dry, re-apply a second coat of sealer
Depending on the thickness and quality of your home’s granite, it may need to dry overnight so allow yourself the proper time to finish the job.
Once sealed, use preventative maintenance to keep your granite countertops looking great. Place coasters under beverages, hot plates under dishes and clean up spills immediately.
A well-cared for granite countertop will last for years.
Latest posts by Phillip Cantrell (see all)
- Why More and More People are Calling Nashville Home - May 17, 2017
- Top 5 Apps for Smart Real Estate Agents - March 23, 2017
- How to Promote Your Open House During Cold Weather - January 25, 2017