How long has it been since you last changed your home’s air filters?
Home air filters trap and remove dust and particles from the air you breathe; leaving “clean air” to circulate your home.
Clean air in your home is important because it promotes better health.
One way to keep to keep your home’s air as clean as possible is to replace its used air filters at least once per quarter; or once monthly in homes with shedding pets or that otherwise “get dusty”.
Changing air filters is among the easier do-it-yourself chores for a Franklin homeowner; a task that takes less than one minute. The secondary benefit of doing it is that new filters help keep your HVAC unit in tip-top shape.
Here’s how to change your home’s air filter :
- Open the air filter compartment door/slider on your HVAC unit.
- Note the size of your current filter. It’s typically written on the frame.
- Note the direction in which the filter is pointing. There may be an arrow on its frame.
- Purchase a new filter at a hardware store. Make sure the sizes matches the size from Step 2.
- Remove the old filter.
- Replace old filter with the newly purchased one from Step 4. Make sure the arrow is pointing in the same direction as the original filter’s arrow.
- Using a marker, note the date of filter change on the side of the filter.
- Close the air filter compartment door/slider.
And that’s it.
When you find a filter type and style that you like, consider buying them in bulk — it can be helpful to have extra air filters laying around the home for when you need them — especially during season changes when you may want to replace filters more frequently.
In addition, when purchasing air filters, don’t opt for the cheapest available. Often, the least expensive filters allow large particles to recirculate through the HVAC unit, and back in to your home. Choose a middle- or top-line product instead.
Your home and your health will thank you.
Latest posts by Phillip Cantrell (see all)
- Why More and More People are Calling Nashville Home - May 17, 2017
- Top 5 Apps for Smart Real Estate Agents - March 23, 2017
- How to Promote Your Open House During Cold Weather - January 25, 2017